Wednesday 27 October 2010

Bad Spelling and Fans

This blog is, as you may have guessed, about two things. Bad Spelling and Fans. By the latter of the two I mean Fanboys/Fangirls, but we'll get to those in a moment. First off:

Bad Spelling
Recently I got involved in a 'Comment argument' on Facebook. One of the people involved was making a point about 'Fraud'. She, however, was spelling it 'Freud'. Now, we all know that those are entirely different things. I made my argument in a comment, and then pointed it out to her that fraud is spelt with an 'a'. She then proceeded to have a go at me about picking on her bad spelling. In a comment full of bad spelling, awful grammar, and, frankly sloppy punctuation. I know I sound like a dick, but bad spelling/grammar/punctuation really gets on my nerves (as does shortening 'you' to 'u' etc.when you have a full QWERTY keypad, and no character limit. It's allowed if you're pushed for space on Twitter.) If you're a bad speller, people are going to judge you on that, and that'll never change, no matter how much people say it will. That rant's over. Now a new one:

Fans
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan. A fan of many things, to be precise. I'm active in a few fandoms, I'm not well known particularly, and I don't write fanfiction or do fanart. I read fandom!secrets. But I wouldn't say I was a massive fangirl. Unlike some people I've come to know recently. For example; a couple of weeks ago Jane and I went to see The Sarah Jane Adventures. At that preview there were A LOT of Fanboys. Not so many Fangirls, but still. The problem with some fanboys is that they are exactly as the media like to portray them. Overweight, sweaty, badly dressed. They could make the effort, you know? I've also met a few fangirls - someone added me on Youtube as a friend purely because I said I'd seen Tom Milsom. 
Really, what I'm saying is that Fans can go too far. I personally would never have the nerve to go up to someone I admired if they were, say, with their family, or out for dinner, and ask them to sign things. I might, possibly, if I saw them on the street, just pop over and say I enjoy their work, or just to say hello. That could be because I'm actually kinda shy, or it could be that I wouldn't want my day full of pesterers, and I so I try not to be one myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment