Monday 21 February 2011

Books and Such


Reading is, as you probably all know, a very very huge part of my life. I love it. I rarely DON'T have a book on the go. So, inspired by Nick Hornby's 'The Polysyllabic Spree' I plan to keep you updated with the books I've bought, and read, and what I thought of them. This will start proper at the end of next month (as I've not kept a record of the books I read THIS month. I'm not that prepared) but I wanted to tell you about the book that I'm currently reading - 'Infinite Jest' by David Foster Wallace.
I was challenged to read it by Kathryn Blay and, to be honest, I'd never even heard of it. But I reserved it at the Library and went to fetch it last week. I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Now, I'm the type of person that can read the biggest Harry Potter book in a day, but that's (essentially) a children's book, and is a reasonably easy read for me. But Infinite Jest is nearly 1000 pages. Of Small text. Written in at least 4 different types of Narrative. It's going to be a slog.
Or so I thought. Turns out, I'm actually quite enjoying it. I'm about 130 pages in so far, and although that's way behind my schedule (I wanted to be 300 in by now. Yes, I schedule big books) I think that having read that much in about a day and a half is pretty good. I'll let you know how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment